Has Comcast Killed X-Men Joining the MCU? – SURE SEEMS THAT WAY. The Hollywood Reporter is claiming that there is real reason to worry about Disney acquiring the Fox properties. Richard Greenfield of BTIG says that Fox head honcho, Rupert Murdoch, wants the best deal. The best and biggest deal, which is Comcast. Comcasts deal ups Disney’s original $52.4 billion to a whopping $60 billion.
Bad Robot Games? – Welp this could be interesting. J.J. Abrams is the modern day George Lucas and now, thanks to a partnership with Tencent, that is actually true. Abrams is known for his mastery of science fiction, and much like George Lucas, who also had a video game division (which was super fucking good and rad!), Abrams will now have one too. The new company is called Bad Robot Games, and will be producing original games. Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment is involved as well as a minority investor.
Dave Baronoff will head the games side, while Tencent will publish all of Bad Robot Game’s in Asia.
Arrowverse EP Banking it In – WELL, GUESS WHAT YOU FUCKS…Greg Berlanti and his shared universes are going nowhere! It was announced today that Greg Berlanti and his production company has signed a $300 million deal with Warner Bros TV, to presumably keep working on CW shows. Beyond just the Arrowverse shows, he’s been handling Black Lighting (which is and isn’t an Arrowverse show?), DC Universe’s Titans and Doom Patrol, CW’s Riverdale, Netflix’s Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and others. Even if I think most of his shows are cheap garbage, he’s a hit maker and deserved a big pay day.
DC Announces Vertigo Relaunch Titles – Vertigo was left on the back burner while DC started up their Young Aniamls imprint, which is now dead. Vertigo is back, replacing Young Animals essentially, and will feature a cast of new writers and creators that include Bryan Edward, Zoe Quinn, Ben Blacker and others. For those who are double taking, yes. *THAT* Zoe Quinn. And her book is super cringe worthy. It should be noted that Vertigo is DC’s “…hmm…let’s try it!” brand. They featured books like iZombie, Y: the Last Man, Preacher, The Sandman series and other highly intense books. So, who knows, maybe cringe will sell.
- BORDER TOWN from writer Eric M. Esquivel (Adventure Time, Starburns Presents) with art and covers by Ramon Villalobos (Nighthawk, America) will debut in September – When a crack in the border between worlds releases an army of monsters from Mexican folklore into the small town of Devil’s Fork, Arizona, the residents blame the ensuing weirdness—the shared nightmares, the otherworldly radio transmissions, the mysterious goat mutilations—on “God-dang illegals.” With racial tensions supernaturally charged, it’s up to new kid in town Frank Dominguez and a motley crew of high school misfits to discover what’s REALLY going on.
- HEX WIVES from writer Ben Blacker (co-creator of The Thrilling Adventure Hour) with art by Mirka Andolfo (WONDER WOMAN, SHADE, THE CHANGING GIRL) will debut in October – “The women are too powerful. They must be tamed.” A malevolent conspiracy of men brainwashes a coven of witches to be subservient, suburban housewives. But it’s only a matter of time before the women remember their power…
- AMERICAN CARNAGE from writer Bryan Hill (TITANS show set to launch on the DC-branded digital service, MICHAEL CRAY) with art by Leandro Fernandez (THE NAMES, The Punisher Max) will debut in November – In this thrilling crime saga, disgraced FBI agent Richard Wright, who is biracial but can pass for white, goes undercover in a white supremacist group believed to be responsible for the death of a fellow agent.
- GODDESS MODE from writer Zoë Quinn (Crash Override, featured in People’s 25 Women Who Are Changing the World and Forbes’ 30 Under 30) with art by Robbi Rodriguez (Spider-Gwen, FBP: FEDERAL BUREAU OF PHYSICS) will debut in December – In a near future where all of humanity’s needs are administered by a godlike A.I., it’s one young woman’s horrible job to do tech support on it. But when Cassandra finds herself violently drawn into a hidden and deadly digital world beneath our own, she discovers a group of super-powered women and horrific monsters locked in a secret war for the cheat codes to reality.
- HIGH LEVEL from writer Rob Sheridan (former art director for Nine Inch Nails, co-creator of the Year Zero alternate reality game) with art by Barnaby Bagenda (THE OMEGA MEN, GREEN LANTERNS) will debut in 2019 – Hundreds of years after the world ended and human society was rebuilt from scratch, a self-interested smuggler with a price on her head is forced to traverse a new continent of danger and mystery to deliver a child messiah to High Level, a mythical city at the top of the world from which no one has ever returned.
- SAFE SEX from writer Tina Horn (host/producer of Why Are People Into That? podcast, writer/journalist/lecturer in sexual education and activism) and artist Mike Dowling (UNFOLLOW, 2000 AD) will debut in 2019 – A dystopian sci-fi thriller about a ragtag team of sex workers fighting for the freedom to love in a world where sexual pleasure is monitored, regulated and policed by the government.
- SECOND COMING from writer Mark Russell (God Is Disappointed in You, THE FLINTSTONES) with art by Richard Pace (IMAGINARY FIENDS) will debut in 2019 – God sends Jesus to Earth in hopes that he will learn the family trade from Sun-Man, an all-powerful superhero, who is like the varsity quarterback son God never had. But, upon his return to Earth, Christ is appalled to discover what has become of his Gospel and vows to set the record right.
MST3K Comic Debuts – Dark Horse is launching a new Mystery Science Theater 3000 comic featuring the rebooted cast as the main characters. Original host Joel Hodgson is gong to write the book, and according to the news around it, the comic will be about them mocking public domain comic works. It’ll be a six issue mini-series.
The riffing hilarity loved by fans of Mystery Science Theater 3000 since 1988 is taking on a whole new medium…comics! Created for comics by series creator Joel Hodgson, Mystery Science Theater 3000, The Comic finds Jonah Heston, Crow T. Robot, Tom Servo, and Gypsy thrust into the 2-D world of public domain comics, with riffing as their only defense! But trust us, these comics have it coming.
Quick Hits – It was announced by voice actor Richard Armitage that Castlevania has already been given a third season. Wizard World to hold a Ghostbusters convention on June 8—9, 2019, the 35th anniversary of the original film and will happen at the Ghost Corps headquarters. The Resident Evil 2 remake is being rumored for an October release in 2018.